Search Box

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Equality

New York approved gay marriage last night.

I support gay marriage for the same reason I'm against affirmative action: because I'm for equal rights.

A black kid from the inner city ought to have a leg up when it comes to college admissions, but so should a white kid from Appalachia. And a middle class black kid ought not to have an advantage over a middle class white kid.

Equality is a fairly straightforward concept.

Yet most who support gay marriage also support affirmative action. And most of those against affirmative action are also against gay marriage.

Isn't each of set of opinions contradictory?

Whether, in some distant bedroom, someone else's penis is entering a vagina or an anus is of no great moment to me. As long as it doesn't cost me any money, I don't care.

I doubt the Libertarian Party will adopt that as their motto.

(But it actually wouldn't make a bad one.)

No comments: